Pictures

Friday, July 22, 2011

Need New Books for Our School Library

To I went to the school to help the Liberian start working on the school's library. Most of our school books are donated which is totally amazing, but the also means that the majority of them look really old. And lets face it kids often don't look past the cover to see the adventure that a good book could take them on. So our goal is to try and replace older looking ones with either new versions of the same titles if they are really good ones, or totally different books.

Looking through the books made me think of my own love affair when reading and where it all started. I have always enjoyed reading, but it really started with my 3rd grade teacher, Mrs. Fudge. She would read to our class almost everyday. We read some really great books, I don't even remember the titles of all of them, but I can still remember some, Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing, The Boxcar Children, and the Orphan Train Children series. It is unfortunate that kids do not know the fun they can have by opening the pages of a book. What lands they can see, life they can live.

So my prayer is that we can find good deals on books for our library or receive some donations of newer books that we can place on our book shelves. I am planning on trying and finding some tomorrow at the local used book store.

No comments:

Post a Comment