Pictures

Sunday, February 19, 2012

12 years

I have a grandma, her name is Donna, who is in her 60s who has been in a nursing home for around 12 years. Why would a woman be in a nursing home at such a young age? Because she is trapped in a body that is crippled by Multiple Sclerosis. I can remember her always being troubled by this disease, but as a young child I remember her being able to get around ok. Now she is in a wheelchair, her legs are almost locked into their rigid state, she can't drink or eat normal foods or liquids, can't talk, can't move, just trapped with her mind still working.

I can't imagine a life like that for 12 minutes let alone 12 years. This woman I never got to really know. She is my grandma, but this disease has robbed me from every really knowing her. I really realized this today as I started to think about my aunt, Ryan's mom and wondered about her birth and adoption. I so wish I could talk to my grandma about it. She would be the only one who would really know.

This woman married my grandpa(I don't have any good memories about the man really, just remembered he always had a constant supply of beer) who had 2 young boys whose mother had died when they were really little(my dad was like 2) and who had been terrorized by a prior stepmom(she tried to drown my dad in the bath) and she did an amazing job I believe. I mean my dad is really devoted to his mom, is an adovacate to get her the care she needs and deserves when she is unable to speak for herself. She must have done something right to deserve that kind of love.

I just wish that she would recieve one of God's unbelievable miracles and she would be free from this horrible disease!!

No comments:

Post a Comment