Pictures

Monday, January 28, 2013

Poor little crabs!

In October we bought the kids 2 crabs, one for the girls named Lala Loopsie and one for the boys named Sharktooth. Now I had never heard of hermit crabs before purchasing them, except when a couple of our youth girls bought some, so I knew nothing about them. So like every responsible pet owner, we bought this nifty little hermit crab guide. It was really thin and I read it from cover to cover.

After a couple of weeks the novelty of the crabs wore off. They didn't really do much, especially after being dropped a couple of times. But they are also nocturnal so during the day they don't do much. I even found it kinda boring. I felt sorry for the little crabs, because I thought that they were probably bored out of their minds. But from my reading I see that they don't really do much of anything.

About 2 months ago, we found Lala Loopsie falling out of her shell and her arms fell off. So Alex cleaned out the shell and we gave the girls the bad news. By this time, Alex was neding to be reminded everyday(if I remembered) to take care of his crab. I was getting pretty tired of having to remind him ALL the time, especially when all he had to do was change the food and water and spray the crab down.

Today when I told him to take care of the crab, he found his fallling out of its shell. Sharktooth took the big dirt nap. Poor little buddy. So Alex started cleaning out the shell, but was having problems. So I helped him and as I was pulling out pieces and noticed 2 more claws and a bunch more legs, I realized Sharktooth wasn't dead. Well at least not until we started ripping him apart. He was just molting. Now I am pretty sure that Lala Loopsie was just molting too. So we killed 2 hermit crabs.

Now Alex wants 2 more since we know we aren't such horrible crab owners that kill our crabs, at least not from neglect. We just rip them out of their shells when they have the nerve to grow. lol. Maybe I will have to try my hand at another pair of crabs, so prove I can keep one alive. lol

No comments:

Post a Comment