Pictures

Sunday, May 27, 2012

Great Tutorial!!

When I was in high school, my great grandmother gave me a large paper sack full of quilt blocks to make a flower garden quilt that my great great grandmother, her mother in law, had put together. The were needing to having the white/muslin pieces added around them and then be pieced together to finish the front.

Sounds simple enough right?! Well not to me. Although I wanted to bad work on this quilt, to continue a quilt that my great, great grandmother started decades ago, I didn't have the guts. This quilt is made up of thousand of little hexagons and I didn't have the know-how to do it. I really didn't want to mess up these quilt blocks.

So they have sit, waiting to be worked on. Well praise God, I found a blog last night after all the kids went to bed  with a great tutorial for making flower blocks. It gave me the confidence to try my hand at piecing this quilt together. Here is the link for this amazing blog http://beeinmybonnetco.blogspot.com/2010/04/hexie-paper-piecing-tutorial.html, take time and look around her site. It has great tips.

So of course I got so excited about finding this awesome tutorial that I had to stay up past 1 in the morning working on my first flower block. I didn't get it all the way done but I got a good majority of it done. I am so excited to work on this. Not sure what I will do with the quilt when it is finished, since it probably will be a long project for me. I hope to hand quilt it to keep with the integrity of the quilt, since it has been all hand pieced.

I love that I have this piece of history and am actually piecing together quilt blocks that my great, great grandmother, a woman who I never knew and died well before I was even born, put together. It is like she gave me a huge gift that she was unaware that I would receive. I have no clue what her plans for this quilt was when she was piecing together these blocks, but I think it is safe to say that she didn't expect her great, great, granddaughter would be finishing up the quilt decades after she pieced them.

I added all the natural color hexagons around the colored hexagon

No comments:

Post a Comment