Pictures

Saturday, March 24, 2012

Not long after we lost our first son Jacob, my grandma told me about when her sister lost a baby. It was a different time then, 60 years ago and we have grown so much in the understanding of mourning a pregnancy loss or stillborn.

My great aunt went into labor and after a long labor and delivary at home, her baby girl silently entered the world. At that time they felt it was best for the mother never to see the baby or hold it I guess, because her husband or some male relative(I forget what my grandma said) took that baby girl and buried her tiny silent body. I believe she said by a tree possibly in the cemetary if I remember right.

I couldn't imagine giving birth to my baby, the whole time waiting to hold that precious angel in my arms and when she is born silent, having her wisked away without being able to look at her precious little face. Now I don't know the details. Maybe the baby had been gone for a while and didn't look the best. I am sure her family truly thought this would be best. And maybe this is what my great aunt preferred. But I couldn't imagine not getting the chance to say goodbye.

Yes seeing Jacob and his tiny, lifeless body was hard. Knowing that he should have still been growing in my womb, safe and healthy. But hard as it was, I wanted to see my baby. We counted his fingers and toes, held him in our hands, and cried for him. There was something healing in seeing our precious baby and knowing that we would see him again in heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment